Hunting Forebears is a full service genealogical service, specializing in Texas and the Gulf Coast states, but willing to follow the records wherever they may lead. Some of the services I provide include:
- Genealogical Research
- Traditional genealogical research for a particular family line, to determine kinship, document migration patterns, or simply to know more about your ancestors.
- Probate Research
- Work with attorneys and courts to prove identity or kinship, as well as to locate missing or unknown heirs.
- Consulting services to review records obtained by people doing their own research to help them work through a brick wall, develop a further plan of research, and recommendation of further research, resources, and records to further their own research. I can also help them to determine if their research provides acceptable proof of their findings for professional genealogists or courts.
- Provide informative lectures on several different subjects, including humourous looks at genealogical research, breaking brick walls, African-American research, black sheep in the family, and several more.
- Records Location
- Search and locate specific records such as civil records, census, births, deaths, immigration, military service, church records, land transactions, cemetery records, and tombstones.
- Locate and photograph places of interest, tombstones, historic homes, businesses, or anything else that may assist you in your research
There are certain expectations you should have of a professional genealogist, which are done by Hunting Forebears. Among these are/should be:
- A written agreement between you and the genealogist that outlines the work to be performed, including:
- The scope of the work to be performed
- Fees that will be charged, and for what
- What is considered work hours being charged
- How the fees will be applied
- Open communication with the genealogist during the project
- A complete and thorough research along the scope of work agreed to
- A thorough final research report that includes:
- All sources utilized in the research
- Both positive and negative results and findings
- An analysis of findings
- Copies, abstracts, or transcriptions of documents discovered during the research
- A full accounting of time and expenses
- Recommendations for future research, if needed
All services are performed at an hourly rate that includes the time for review of records, research, analysis, and report preparation, PLUS any additional costs associated with rentals, copy fees, postage, travel, long distance telephone calls, or document purchase. All costs, hourly and additional, will be discussed and approved prior to expense.
Any balance due will be paid in full prior to the release of the final report. Any unused fees will be reimbursed along with the final report.
I am very up front about any fees or costs as I don’t want you to spend money you don’t need to. After all, we are all po’ folks.